Thursday, October 17, 2013

Introduction post (30 day RPG blog challenge)

Hello Everyone
     I am a young man two years from a score old. I wanted to start this blog to share my ideas and opinions on things. To talk about film movies and games from tabletop to video-games. I will mainly talk about tabletop games and my current experiences. I hope the readers out there will enjoy my posts and find them enticing and relative to themselves.

AbecedarianDM


DAY 1
Ever since a young child I was influenced by my fathers love of fantasy and adventure tales.

I did not even know d30's existed.
Indiana Jones and Doc Savage ( yes the Ron elay/eley film) later some of the stories, The lost world, Conan, Martial arts films. My first discovery of D&D was when I was a child. My father owned the basic Holmes version of D&D and according to the printing record it's either the 4th or 5th or somewhat in-between. Since my dates in my book are odd. The basic book was printed like madness so I wouldn't be surprised if we still don't know about every run.

The cover allured me blue and white, with a knight and wizard on it. With a center piece of a fierce dragon.  A year or so later this would become more relevant in my life. My dad introduced me to the Rankin and Bass Produced version of "J.R.R. Tolkien's: The Hobbit" It was the greatest animated movie I had ever seen I grew up watching Wizard of Oz and Willy Wonka/Charlie, and watching Things like bits of "Toonami" and what ever other cartoons was on.

"The Hobbit", mesmerized my mind as a young child. While not being able to comprehend the story till I was much older, I loved the action and the songs. I later would go on to read the  Comic Book version then finally the novel. To this day I have never read "Queer Lodgings" the middle chapter in the book featuring Beorn in the novel except for the comic. I felt it slowed the stories momentum of episodic adventure.

Burglar!

Though relating to the Holmes Basic set was the dragon. The Dragon on the cover and Smaug, I made a unconscious link to the two as a kid and had a nagging need to look at the book. What secrets did it hold.

I'd later see R.B's LOTR's, and Return of the King and the Live Action LOTR films, though D&D was not something that I was aware of other then being a taboo thing that my mother shunned as a weird hobby my dad had in his drinking days.

~~~~~~~~~
Several years later
~~~~~~~

After many years of personal and family issues I moved in with my father.
I slowly rediscovered the Holmes Basic book and his other gaming things.
Call of Cthulhu 4th ed was the first RPG book I really flipped through and read as somewhat coherently. Yet the writings of Lovecraft still alluded my immature brain.

Later on my dad would buy the Players Handbook(wizard cover) and options book(2nd ed)
Though I was more focused on my video games and things like Comics and cartoons to really read them too many words.

After a year or so and before we left our first abode, me and my father visited a used bookstore.
Inside I discovered two very momentous books.

A copy of the proper 4th printing of the AD&D DMG guide (This was the first printing to not have errors and proper paper inside covers for the cardboard.

As well as a complete AD&D 2nd Ed. Box-set of Dragon Mountain.
I believe both were 15 dollars or 10. (I could go on about this bookstore but that's another story.)

I started to slowly get into reading these books more and sadly with no hope getting a group together.
Over the course of the last 5 years of my life, I dabbled in  playing 4th, 3rd, and CofC, yet none of the games I was in went anywhere or I was able to continue. AD&D and Basic Holmes D&D is what I really preferred know more about. It's what I use now.

~~~~~~~~~~~
NOW
~~~~~
My father owned B2 Keep on the Borderlands, and two printings of X1 Isle of dread used for CofC. Both of these are great adventures I've flipped through Dread and I've read B2.
It wasn't until yesterday that for the first time I discovered in the X1 module that the B2  land/keep map existed. Well I mean I didn't think it did I had looked at it for years and then finally I realized that one of the maps in one of the X1 modules was for B2.

Now I am running my own game of a mix of Basic Holmes D&D/ and AD&D with a mix of loose rules for expedient measures. I've read so much and watched things like "Noah Antwilers: Counter Monkey" Yet for the past few weeks I've been running a game with two players and myself as a pc.

 We are playing B2 atm and while I can set up encounters and run combat I still have trouble acting out characters that aren't very exaggerated. I've got things to learn and proper DM ro'eplaying is something that may look easy but it isn't.

~~~~~~~~~~~
Abecedarian means novice or beginner so I felt it was suiting. As I may know allot about roleplaying but my experience is somewhat lacking.

Thanks Everyone I hope you enjoy my blog! :)

A photo taken by a friend of mine from his Nintendo Dsi of a falls.




Powered by WebRing.

No comments:

Post a Comment