Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Thoughts on AD&D DMG

The DMG for AD&D is AWESOME, and
not so awesome.
BEHOLD THE TOME OF KNOWLEDGE!
I own the officially fixed 4th printing of the DMG it was the
first to have a ISBN and it did not have any printing errors with the
Monster manual Mistakes.
See: http://www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/setpages/dmg.html
for details on DMG printings.

Pros
It's got all the info you need to fit along side the PHB
Charts n stuff
How to generate stuff.
Great advice.

Cons
Unorganized as my room.
Minor rules mentioned in sub paragraph A of chapter 5.
Good example is the rule on great helms and combat in the armor section.
It's ridiculous.
It's just poorly organized as said above.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I own one of the later printings of the PHB
I love the DMG guide it's awesome you need it for most, but due to it's orderliness I can't use it during play, beyond combat charts.

I really love the hirelings section there's so much to learn about.
Sages are interesting and I don't know if anyone has ever used them.
Random Dungeon generating is arduous but cool.
The monster list while simple is indispensable if you don't have a monster manual.

In the end the DMG is mandatory to play AD&D sadly, It's a great book, but due to it's "bulk of things you may never use" and" rules of major importance in nooks and crannies" it's really very frustrating to flip through.

Your best bet is to just use the major parts of the book for character creation and combat and leave it at that.  I still read it. It's something that interests me, but it's not user friendly as much as the PHB is.

I do not own Unearth Arcana I only own the main two books
~~~~~~~~
Well if the DMG isn't your cup of Tea?

Not for sure if you need a PHB with this
I've seen one for the OSIRC though.
Your best bet is to look for the OSIRC pdf or book. It's basically classic rpg AD&D with a few others thrown in reorganized and fixed so that you don't need to scour the records to only find a paragraph saying "Beware of the Leopard" haha.

What are your thoughts on the DMG I personally feel it should of got a major revision more in line of how the PHB was charted.

The only option we have now is the OSIRC or maybe another system like DCC if you want modern organization.

The AD&D DMG is like a layer dip.
Really good parts here and there, and odd crunchy bits you may or may not like.

http://www.knights-n-knaves.com/osric/index.html
Get OSIRC here!

This is all my opinion if you don't like it then shoot me, but what do you think?





No comments:

Post a Comment